Sunday, August 9, 2009

Rooms for Rent - the house

I'm a full time grad student @ Trent University in Peterborough - and since I'll be there for another 4 years, we decided to buy a house. The one we found is WAY bigger than I need ... so if you're looking for a room without all the hassles and rules that SO many other landlords put on their student housing, welcome.

The stained glass windows are probably my favourite part of the house - although the trimwork and moldings and the very cool cupboard under the stairs and the summer kitchen and... okay - I love the house.
So... okay.... this is, you may have gathered, the front of the house. You can't see it in this picture, but there's actually a lava lamp sitting on the front porch - will have to find a good place for that, if someone doesn't swipe it between now and our closing date.

That's my husband, Ross - among other things, he's a licensed exterminator (good thing, since this house comes complete with some pigeons on the roof that need to find themselves a new home - that will be happening as soon as it is officially ours). Ross will be around some of the time - usually November - mid-March - when I am....which is typically only when I need to be for classes. We live near Midland, 2.5 hours away.... and go home pretty much every weekend.
This is Scrooge, my 10+ year old walker hound, and he will also be joining us when Ross does.... Scrooge likes (most) other dogs - which is why we're willing to consider furry tenants. Scrooge is a big part of the reason we decided to buy, rather than rent - lots of places for people that don't want/like dogs .... this isn't one of them! I want my dog!

Ross, Scrooge & I will be living in the attic apartment, which includes a separate washroom and small kitchen area. I will probably also use the main kitchen, since the upstairs one is SO tiny - I have room for a fridge OR a stove; probably not both.
We will also be wandering through regularly on the way up to the attic - while I DO like the apartment, I'm not so fond of the fire escape and don't expect to be using it regularly any time soon. But other than that, the other two floors will pretty much be for the use of whoever is renting the rooms.

That includes a living room, dining room, 2 washrooms (1 has a tub, the other a shower), the storage room, and the cellar, which includes lots of rooms for bikes or whatever, and also a washer and dryer for everyone's use.

The house is, right now, very colourful - and then some. Our plan is to focus on painting the main floor - and probably the attic - before Sept. 1. We'll see how that goes, and if there is time, we'll probably also get the bedrooms done (unless you happen to really WANT a green, red, blue or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it bedroom, in which case, we'll leave it for you). Oh, and if you happen to like painting, and have some time before school starts, we'd love to talk to you about that too!

Inside the front door - aren't the colours ~charming~ ? That carpet too - that has got to go!

Yes, the living room is bright purple with green trim, and the dining room is - well... you can see for yourself. Like I said, that's all going to be painted though. I'm thinking something a bit more neutral.
I didn't get a good picture of the kitchen or storage room (used to be summer kitchen) but there is lots of room - 2 fridges, extra cupboards, and so on. We'll provide some of the basics here - dishes and so on.









Those are the bedrooms (DUH!) ...told you they were colourful - although the blue and whatever-that-colour-is aren't SO bad, I guess.

There is also a large storage cupboard on the second floor (still boggles my mind that with all the colours in the house they managed to find curtains that don't match any of them!)




The upstairs washroom - the main floor washroom is tucked behind the kitchen.

As you can no doubt tell, I am not a professional (or even, good) photographer - but the house is huge and - given a good paint job and some furniture - is going to be very livable.

I was, when I was looking for places to rent, completely frustrated by the "No pets, no smoking, no couples, one year lease" thing - so am determined that my house will be a whole lot more tenant friendly.

Rules about smoking will be set by the tenants - I smoke, but can live with smoking outside (on the fire escape, once Ross fixes it LOL) if need be. Scrooge is non-negotiable, as you may have gathered - other pets will be considered (but of course, must be Scrooge-approved).

Couples are welcome, either sharing a room or not - at this point, we're thinking $450 for a single room, $650 if couples are sharing one - but depending on how many rooms wind up rented, especially to couples, there is a possibility of everyone's rent changing - as in down, not up, of course.

We are not, at this point, requiring a lease, although we will have a tenants' agreement, and will require 2 months notice. Our plan is to offer a reduced rate to keep your spot over the summer if you wish, and are willing to allow the room to be used in your absence.

I'm a geek, so high speed wireless is a given; all utilities and the use of the laundry facilities are also included in the rent.

What did I miss? Oh - location - the house is a 15 minute walk to CPT or <5 minutes to the buses to go to whatever campus you happen to want to go to (or wherever).

If you're interested in seeing the house, you can email me at flit_c_s_a@hotmail.com. Or, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them right here if you prefer.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed seeing the pictures. Provides plenty of information. Good luck with getting tenants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amenities are excellent and the surroundings are amazing. You've done a great job... Ontario Cottage Rentals

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://cottageme.com
    It’s really great post. I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.

    ReplyDelete